2003 – 2007
- Establishing the National Foundation for Science and Technology Development (NAFOSTED) under Decree 122/2003/ND-CP dated on 22 October 2003.
- Establishing NAFOSTED’s Board of Trustees and NAFOSTED’s Executive Office.
- Promulgating regulations on the financial management of NAFOSTED.
2008 – 2010
- Holding the opening ceremony of NAFOSTED (26 February 2008).
- Promulgating regulations on funding and classification of fields for basic research, scientific activity funding, and cost estimation methods for basic research projects.
- Establishing Scientific Committees, implementing research funding programs in the fields of Natural Sciences and Engineering (NSE), and Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH).
- Supporting projects to encourage enterprises to invest in scientific and technological activities under the Decree 119/1999/ND-CP.
- Signing Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Belgium’s Research Foundation Flanders (FWO) and National Science Foundation of Germany (DFG).
- Building NAFOSTED’s website and online management system (OMS).
2010 – 2013
- Promulgating regulations on NAFOSTED’s loan and loan guarantee, implementing funding program for emergent & breakthrough projects.
- Establishing NAFOSTED’s Board of Auditors.
- Implementing the TCVN ISO 9001:2008 – compliant quality management system.
- Implementing the online submission system for basic research funding in Social Sciences and Humanities, the international peer review system for basic research funding in Natural Sciences and Engineering.
- Supporting the Government’s program on Key Mechanical Products.
2014 – 2015
- Issuing NAFOSTED’s Statute of organization and activities according to Decree 23/2014/ND-CP on 3 April, 2014.
- Promulgating regulations on the management of basic research projects, emergent & breakthrough scientific research projects funded by NAFOSTED, and management of funding activities to enhance national S&T capacity.
- Organizing Ta Quang Buu Prize and other annual conferences to promote NAFOSTED’s activities in all three regions of Vietnam.
- Singing the NAFOSTED – NHMRC (Australia) Memorandum of Understanding.
- Promulgating regulations on managing and implementing applied research program and loan program.
- Increasing application submission, evaluation and fund for basic research programs in Natural Sciences and Engineering and Social Sciences and Humanities to twice per year.
- Signing the NAFOSTED – RCUK (The UK) Memorandum of Understanding.
Chairman of the Foundation’s Board of Trustees: Mr. Tran Quoc Khanh, Vice-Minister of Science and Technology.
Director of the Foundation’s Executive Office:
From 2007-2008: Mr. To Dinh Huyen
From 2008 to 2011: Mr. Phan Hong Son